Why Create Custom Portfolios?
TuringTrader.com is supposed to be simple to use, even for investors with limited experience and knowledge. That's why we only offer portfolios that have docile characteristics and are easy to maintain. With our All-Stars family of portfolios investors have access to portfolios with a great returns, superb diversification, and low volatility. But not all investors are the same, and some investors prefer more control. This is where our custom portfolios come in.
With TuringTrader's custom portfolios, investors can combine up to three of our Premium portfolios and create personalized meta-portfolios that directly address their beliefs and objectives.
How to Create Your Custom Portfolio
To create a custom portfolio, go to the dashboard page and click on the plus button in the bottom right. This will put a new custom portfolio on your dashboard. Just like any other portfolio, you can access the custom portfolio by clicking on its name:
To edit the composition of a custom portfolio, open the portfolio's page, and adjust the components and their weights in the composition table. All of our Premium portfolios are available as components. If you need less than three components, simply set those you don't need to Cash:
When building your custom portfolio, don't be overly obsessed with achieving the very best results. Instead, we recommend considering the following aspects:
- Diversification: Does your combination of component strategies cover a broad range of asset classes and analysis methods?
- Rebalancing Schedules: Do the rebalancing schedules of the various component strategies fit with your lifestyle?
- Account Size: Is your account large enough, to satisfy the minimum capital requirements for each of the component strategies?
To learn more about the construction of successful meta-portfolios, we recommend reading our background article about All-Stars Portfolios. Also, we recommend starting with a composition similar to our tried-and-tested All-Stars Portfolios.
How to Backtest Your Custom Portfolio
To make sure that your custom portfolios loads quickly, we cache the backtesting results. The following events trigger a recalculation:
- Changes in portfolio composition. Whenever you modify your portfolio composition, a new backtest is triggered. Expect the backtest to take about 5 seconds to complete. Once the backtest has completed, the charts, metrics, and asset allocation on the page are updated to reflect your portfolio composition.
- Daily update. We recalculate your custom portfolio along with our daily site update. Expect your custom portfolio to update about 5 hours after the markets closed.
Note that the most-recent performance shown on the dashboard is updated upon completion of each backtest.
Limitations and Known Issues
Custom Portfolios are currently in beta testing. We are aware that there are a few limitations and glitches, especially the following:
- Missing email notifications: Investors will not receive any notification emails when their custom portfolios need rebalancing. We will implement this feature in the near future.
- Only one custom portfolio: Investors have only access to a single custom portfolio per account. We have not yet decided how many custom portfolios will be included with the Infinite Membership.
- Missing historical allocations: Right now, our backtesting engine cannot determine historical asset allocations. This limitation will most likely not be resolved upon initial feature release.
- Generic Name: Currently, custom portfolios cannot be renamed to be be more descriptive.
If you encounter any other difficulties, please reach out. Thank you!